A shuttle bus will take us from hotel “Academia” for a 20 min drive to the start of 1:15 h walking tour to lake Popradské pleso. This is a glacier lake situated in the scenic Mengusova valley of High Tatras at 1500m a.s. On the left bank of the lake there is the symbolic Tatra cemetery as a memorial to Czech and Slovak victims of Tatras and other mountains. A descending footpath will take us through wonderful landscape to the well known mountain resort at Lake Štrbské pleso (1 300m a.s.). We´ll test some typical Slovak food at restaurant Koliba (shepherd's hut) and will be transferred back to hotel “Academia”. (This is an easy 2 and ½ hours walking tour with 200 m. altitude difference. Solid walking, or hiking shoes and windbreaker are recommended).
Price: 25.00 EUR.
Pieniny National park trip
Pieniny National park is one of the most frequently visited tourist destination in High Tatras region - Zamagurie. The river Dunajec has created a deep winding canyon through the series of limestone hills with a unique landscape. We will embark guided wooden rafts downstream to the small village of Červený kláštor (Red monastery) with an ancient monastery settled in 11th century by Benedictine, Carthusian, and Camadul monks. The most reputable devotee of the Červený Kláštor was Friar Cyprian (1724 – 1775) author of the notable herbarium. After a dinner at restaurant Pltnik we will be transferred back to the hotel Academia.
Price: 35.00 EUR
Cultural heritage of Spiš region
The shuttle bus will take us for a short drive to
. The name Spiš was derived from the local castle (Spiš Castle) that dominates in this region. It stays on ruins of a former Celtic (later Slavic) hill-fort that had existed here already a long time before 12th century. It is one of the largest castles in Europe and was a seat of the most important feudal lords of the Spiš region till the end of the 17-th century. At the hill, opposite to the castle, we will also visit the religious capital of Spiš region - the small village Spišská Kapitula, dominated by St. Martin’s Cathedral. Originally build in late-Romanesque style (13 century) the cathedral was later (1777-1778) restored in baroque style. Since 1776 it has been a seat of the Bishop of Spiš and the centre of Church administration. The cathedral has particularly valuable interior, especially the Gothic altar of St. Martin (1470-78), the altar of the Three kings, the altar of St. Michael, the altar of the Virgin Mary Falling Asleep, and the neo-gothic triptych altar of the Coronation of the Virgin Mary created in 1493, located in the Zapolsky Chapel. Driving back to Stara Lesna, we will stop for a
at Spišská Sobota village (now suburb of Poprad city), where we could admire the renaissance square with 13th century St. Juraj church, belfry, and surrounding renaissance houses.